Friday, October 3, 2014

Bridal Shower Quilt

A long time ago on Pinterest I saw a guest sign in book that was a quilt. I mentioned something to my mom about how she could totally make me one of these someday. Well, for my wedding I decided to just do the traditional wedding sign in book. I did, however, decide to have my friends and family bring me a square of fabric to my bridal showers. I loved seeing all the different material and imagining this turning into a crazy quilt. I've always wanted to learn how to sew, and my mom has taught me as she helped me with projects throughout the years, but this would be my first solo sewing project! 

I set up show in the living room and dining room. Mark is very patient with my sewing adventures! I decided to just do it step by step. Well that meant turning on the machine, treading the bobbin, and threading the machine. It took awhile.... and Mark's help...and calling my mom about 10 times, but I did it! I started by sewing the squares together, but then realized I wanted the quilt a little bigger so I added a few of my own squares and some trim around the sides. The front seemed to go very well, but the back was a struggle. I just did flannel, but I made some mistakes. If you stand far enough back you can't tell, but every time I see the quilt I think, YIKES. 

BUT... I DID IT! 

I sewed a quilt, all by myself! Now I'm hooked! I already have more ideas and projects that I'm dying to do. Quilts, stockings, tree skirt. If you follow me on Pinterest, I apologize because you will be seeing more sewing pins from me!

I love looking at each square and thinking of the person that gave it to me. It's bright, random, and comfy. Babies love it too! I think I might have to make another one for a baby shower quilt someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment