Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Christmas Letter

We've had a rough time this year in my class. Unexpectedly I had a student's mom pass away, leaving 5 children behind. I've had another mom find out her cancer is back now in her liver and much worse. I've also had another mom find out she has breast cancer. I watch these 8 year olds have to deal with so much at such a young age. I don't know how they do it because I honestly don't think that at 29 I could handle it. 

Today in class we practiced writing letters. The assignment was to write a letter to a parent and tell them what you would like for Christmas and why. Here is one of them:
It's a pretty basic letter and then you get to the last line. "I also want mom back". I stood there reading it and trying to correct a few errors as I tried to hold back the tears. 

I'm so blessed. I have so many wonderful things and people in my life. I'm grateful that I have my whole family still here with me, even if they are far away. I'm lucky to get to see them in 11 days! You better believe I'll be hugging them a little tighter and saying I love you a lot more.

We never know what is going to come our way. Make sure those that you love know it.

2 comments:

  1. Tears Tears Tears. So sad. Good Reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this. It is such a great reminder to keep things in perspective.

    ReplyDelete